Wednesday, May 9, 2007

europe archive 5/9/07: under the tuscan sun. I think. Right?

haha. I suppose I could look it up. But I am so, so, so tired! I just wanted to write and say Florence is amazing. We/I have


Tuesday:
-gotten to see Stephanie some more!
-seen the Duomo and climbed the tower for the view of Florence (thats a lotta steps by the way)
-eaten gelato at Cafe Corona, recommended by Quinn as the best gelato in Italy. holy guacamole. It is so amazing. I can't even explain. I didn't even think I LIKED gelato. I have no idea what the name of the flavor I got was but I think it had pound cake mixed in.
-eaten pizza. Mmm.
-siesta'd. Sleepy times.
-climbed up this big hill thing to visit the San Miniato church. We learned from Let's Go Europe! (On a Budget) that the monks there chant at 5, so that's when we went. It was so unexpectedly soothing and awesome. Best part: Mo's phone went off (whoops) and then I saw one of the chanting monks, ever so discreetly, pull his cell phone out of his pocket, turn it off, and put it back in. So fantastic.
-watched the sunset from this other part of the hill. It was so pretty. Very Tuscan. If my pictures don't come out I know Mel and Jill's did.
-ate fettuccine alfredo! yum.

Today:
-ate breakfast at the hostel. They include EGGS in this breakfast. How gourmet!
-saw...um...this one church. With fresco paintings. It was cool.
-ate lunch. I had salmon. Yum!
-dropped Stephanie off at the train station. So sad!!!! tears there were. She's headed for Barcelona, though. Lucky girl.
-met up with Mel and Mo's mom (M&M's parents just got in Italy and are visiting for about a day and a half) to see the Statue of David! Wow. It was big. And alarmingly perfect and intricate and detailed. Photos don't really do it any sort of justice- I finally get why it's a big deal. Also in the museum were pretty Rennaissance paintings and old musical instruments! I saw a really old oboe. Not sure how old; the display didn't say, but it had holes instead of keys and was brown.
-walked all around Florence some more
-had dinner with Mel and Mo's parents! It was fun to see them. I had spaghetti alla carbonara and then we went back to the same gelato place. You can have multiple flavors in a cup so I got banana and berry. Yum! You can tell if it's good gelato from what the banana gelato looks like...if it's a brighter yellow, it's from a mix; if it's grayish, it's made from scratch. This stuff was made from scratch and was deLICIOUS.

I am so behind in my journal (six days now! Ugh, I can't keep up!!!) so it reassures me to at least be up to date here. I have about another day of free Internet...we're training to Rome on Friday, not sure what the web situation is there. Oh, adventures.

Thanks to everyone who has been writing! It is SO AWESOME to hear from everyone at home. Hooray!

Love,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment