Wednesday, May 27, 2009

middle east 5/27/09: jerusalem

Shalom all!

So right now we are in Jerusalem. We were supposed to go out tonight, but there's a TERROR ALERT. Poo. This means we will be having sangrias at the hostel to ensure our complete safety. So, no need to worry at home.

Anyway, Jerusalem is rad! This trip has been so busy, and I've had no time to write at all, particularly because this hostel has no computer. My only internet access is to pester Noah to use his laptop, but today my new friend Courtney needed his computer anyway so we are here, updating our internetz. Whee!

Let's see, quick highlights. Yesterday we went to Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Museum. It's interesting, it's really the first time I've dealt with the Holocaust since visiting Auschwitz two years ago, and in some ways I feel like I've just finally begun to digest that last trip. The museum gave us all a good cry, then afterwards our group got to listen to a Holocaust survivor speak. It's sort of funny I suppose, but I've always really wanted to meet someone who had survived the Holocaust and hear them talk about it. Even though this woman, Wertl, seemed to have to emotionally disconnect herself from the words she spoke, it was still moving to hear her speak.

Other things...last night we got to go to the desert and sleep under canopies at a Bedouin camp. So cool! They served us delicious food and had ceremonies with dancing and then a couple of us walked around under the stars. Super rad.

Finally, today we got to float in the Dead Sea! Totally excellent. It's amazing: even if you think you are totally scratch/scrape-free, after about five minutes in the Dead Sea, everyone knows exactly where all their injuries are because they sting! Ack. It's supposed to be healing, though. We also all covered ourselves in Dead Sea mud. I expect amusing pictures will come once everyone gets home and uploads
to facebook.

I hate to be so brief, but I think I need to run. Hope everyone is well at home. Much love!!!!
-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment